Monday, March 18, 2013

Kawaii-Kon 2013 is another success!


I'm still reeling from my trip this past weekend (I miss Honolulu), but in my opinion Kawaii-Kon 2013, although not as good as last year, was still a great event to attend! The venue expanded to more rooms and events, as well as a bigger amount of special Japanese guests. All of the major events were a success, and I especially enjoyed the live performances from Eyeshine, EMKE, and Iruma Rioka w/ Nemu.

I am disappointed that I didn't get to see HachiojiP in person and get a copy of Iruma Rioka's CD, nor anything autographed by Rioka and Nemu. Iruma Rioka and Nemu's concert was awesome and I am still kicking myself over this case of un-buyer's remorse. I've never seen such a talented guitarist like Nemu play both acoustic and electric guitar very well, and Iruma Rioka's voice is lovely. I did manage to watch a few episodes of two anime shows for the first time in Kawaii-Kon's Video Room: Mnemosyne and Read or Die.

Here are some shots I took of a few events, I was not allowed to photograph all of the concerts.


Tabletop room...a place to play card games or Warhammer 40k.

Inside the Tabletop Room.
Long line to the Dealers Room.

Saturday was the most busiest day.
Iruma Rioka and Nemu's autograph session.
Because I'm shy, mustering up a lot of courage to photograph some cosplayers with permission was a huge challenge. However, because of my dedication, I snapped as many photos as I could. Big thanks goes for all that gave me permission!

An honorable mention goes to the guy that dressed up as Hard Gay FOOOOOOOO! Can you spot him?










Compared to last year, I did not come home with a lot of goods from the Dealers Room. There were a lot of selections, but very few have been appealing. I did manage to snag a S.H. Figuarts Super Saiyan Son Goku 3 and a SNSD "I Got A Boy" CD with my favorite singer Kwon Yuri on the front cover. What's that? K-Pop merchandise sold in an anime convention? I guess this speaks for how much K-Pop's popularity spread in Japanese culture.


Overall, Kawaii-Kon 2013 was a hit. I had a great time meeting new people and hanging out with my friends during my stay! Hopefully, Iruma Rioka and Nemu will comeback next year, so I can get their autograph.

Kawaii-Kon 2014 will happen in Hawaii Convention Center again, but the days will switch back in April (April 4 - April 6). Pre-sale passes are not up for sale yet, so visit Kawaii-Kon for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top